Re: What is 'Trusted Oracle'?

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2002 01:56:00 GMT

Yes and no. In the latest versions/releases some of the features have been incorporated. If you go over to the OTN website and dig around , or check your manuals.

Trusted Oracle was developed originally for the US Government, and runs/ran on specific. certified and tested platforms with a specific Oracle release, a specific O/S release, a specific hardware platform, and so forth, and the whole business was tested and certified as a unit, for security.

A key part was MLS, that carried security "labels" down to the row level, that were sort of hierarchical, kinda.

Either you were stuck in your own label class, or you might have WRITEDOWN or WRITEUP privileges, allowing you access to data at lower or higher levels than your own.

It was a nice way to implement the SCI (Secret Compartmentalized Information) concept for the management of very sensitive information.

I hope that helps; I've never used it or needed to; others here could probably give you a more intelligent explanation. I think Trusted Oracle was only allowed limited export under the COCOM regulations.

RSH.