Re: Im stuck in a black hole!

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 15:02:24 +1000

In article <6mpJ8.1199$Hj3.4550_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, you said (and I quote):
> I think your comment on the training of DBAs and the generation of "useless"
> DBAs is a bit harsh ! I'm the first to admit that the training provided is
> not perfect but I also know many, many DBAs who have gone through the
> training programs and have developed and matured into excellent,
> professional DBAs. The training they received was an vital "initial" step in
> the learning process, an initial step that provided them with a solid
> foundation from which they were able to grow professionally with that other
> important ingredient, experience.

Sure. Let me reinforce what I said. Given that management expects a DBA to do everything from production support to application and database design, the current crop of courses is useless. Not the people. The courses!

And given that Oracle has stated the clear intention of 9iR2 and later versions being mostly self-tuning, it is again useless to train DBAs with the current crop of courses. We are training them in things that will NOT be needed in another two or three years.

I think the DBA role is undergoing a re-definition. This will crystallize in another year or so, but one thing is for sure: the current training is blatantly inadequate even for the current expectations of the job.

This does not stop anyone from being a great DBA and learning a lot over and above what is given in the courses! That is entirely subjective and most DBAs I know fall into that category.

> manuals, hunting through the web, etc. Again, although not perfect, the
> training programs provided by Oracle (and others) is an excellent
> introduction to the complicated concepts and processes involved in being an
> effective Oracle DBA. And that is all much of the training is aimed to be, a
> start.

Nevertheless, the fact remains that management sends DBAs to courses with the expectation that a fully competent database designer, application designer, development DBA and production DBA will come out the other end. We all know that no current DBA course stream (be it Oracle's or anyone else) can achieve this.

> Your suggestion that the available training is of no use or relevance to
> aspiring Oracle DBAs is wrong. There are plenty of quality DBAs out there
> that prove it.

No, I don't think I suggested that. I suggested that the training is completely inadequate for the EXPECTATIONS placed on the DBA position by management. Rightly or wrongly is not relevant.

> One last point. In case anyone thinks I'm just saying all this because I
> work for Oracle, please note that I left Oracle several weeks ago (and I'm
> in fact enjoying a new liberated existence with a month of World Cup soccer
> action but one sleep away).

You lucky, lucky sod!
:-)

--