Re: Im stuck in a black hole!

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 31 May 2002 04:57:22 -0700

Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:<3cf7051c$0$28003$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> And given that Oracle has stated the clear intention of 9iR2 and later
> versions being mostly self-tuning, it is again useless to train DBAs with
> the current crop of courses. We are training them in things that will NOT
> be needed in another two or three years.

Ehm, self tuning software. I've seen a lot of self tuning software in past years, and these softwares usually self tunned themself to crash. :-) Lord preserve us from self tuning software like MS SQL or MS's operating systems.

> I think the DBA role is undergoing a re-definition. This will
> crystallize in another year or so, but one thing is for sure: the current
> training is blatantly inadequate even for the current expectations of the
> job.

Current expectations: keep that bloody system running and meanwhile do a job of five people we've sacked yesterday.

> This does not stop anyone from being a great DBA and learning a lot over
> and above what is given in the courses! That is entirely subjective and
> most DBAs I know fall into that category.

It goes without saying. You wouldn't go far with stuff from courses.

> Nevertheless, the fact remains that management sends DBAs to courses with
> the expectation that a fully competent database designer, application
> designer, development DBA and production DBA will come out the other end.
> We all know that no current DBA course stream (be it Oracle's or anyone
> else) can achieve this.

Exactly! I can hear it all the day: "We have no people with experiences to do a DBA job. Ok, get some freshmen for little money and sent them to Oracle for three weeks. After that they'll do a job of five year veteran we've fired off, because he had been pay too much".

> No, I don't think I suggested that. I suggested that the training is
> completely inadequate for the EXPECTATIONS placed on the DBA position by
> management. Rightly or wrongly is not relevant.

Hm, some expectations will never be fulfilled. I wanna be an astronaut, when I was five.

> > One last point. In case anyone thinks I'm just saying all this because I
> > work for Oracle, please note that I left Oracle several weeks ago (and I'm
> > in fact enjoying a new liberated existence with a month of World Cup soccer
> > action but one sleep away).
> >

> You lucky, lucky sod!

You're lucky too, you have World Cup in the same timezone. I have eight hours (or something like that) of difference.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.