Re: Im stuck in a black hole!

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 22:47:03 +1000

Hi Nuno,

I think your comment on the training of DBAs and the generation of "useless" DBAs is a bit harsh ! I'm the first to admit that the training provided is not perfect but I also know many, many DBAs who have gone through the training programs and have developed and matured into excellent, professional DBAs. The training they received was an vital "initial" step in the learning process, an initial step that provided them with a solid foundation from which they were able to grow professionally with that other important ingredient, experience.

I also know the costs organisations pay by not investing in training, by using false economy techniques of so-called on the job learning, reading of manuals, hunting through the web, etc. Again, although not perfect, the training programs provided by Oracle (and others) is an excellent introduction to the complicated concepts and processes involved in being an effective Oracle DBA. And that is all much of the training is aimed to be, a start. It's the subsequent experiences of the individual, of applying techniques that work and fail, by making mistakes and learning from them, by learning from peers from a position of "knowledge" that ultimately makes the "competent" DBA.

And don't confuse the training with OCP. In my opinion, becoming an OCP means you know how to answer a few questions. It's fundamentally flawed in what it's attempting to achieve, no question. But it doesn't necessarily negate the effectiveness of the training people attend in order to achieve OCP status.

Your suggestion that the available training is of no use or relevance to aspiring Oracle DBAs is wrong. There are plenty of quality DBAs out there that prove it.

One last point. In case anyone thinks I'm just saying all this because I work for Oracle, please note that I left Oracle several weeks ago (and I'm in fact enjoying a new liberated existence with a month of World Cup soccer action but one sleep away).

Regards

Richard