Re: viewing the x$ tables

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 30 May 2002 15:12:27 -0700

rgaffuri_at_cox.net (Ryan Gaffuri) wrote in message news:<1efdad5b.0205300957.51a1184f_at_posting.google.com>...
> Which priviledge do I need to view this? DBA access doesnt cut it. Ive
> been looking at them from the SYS account which I would prefer not to
> be in.
>
> Also, which data dictionary view do I use to get a list of the x$
> tables? DBA_OBJECTS and DBA_TABLES did not work?
>
> One other thing... does anyone really use these to do work? I find
> them incredibly hard to read... just learning them to improve my
> overall knowledge of Oracle.

I always login as SYS to view them. I don't know why many people say it's not good to stay in there as SYS. You can get a full list of them from x$kqfdt and x$kqfta. Many have definitions in v$fixed_view_definition. The best way to understand them is to read Steve Adams' book and articles on his site, browse on Metalink, and do all kinds of experiment. It's rarely necessary to rely on these tables to do your daily work.

Yong Huang Received on Thu May 30 2002 - 17:12:27 CDT