Re: viewing the x$ tables

From: Anton Buijs <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 00:02:16 +0200

View V$FIXED_TABLE list the X$ views, but not the columns and the meaning. You really must be SYS to be able to query them. In my opinion you do not need to know about the X$-views for normal daily DBA work.
They are Oracle internal, changing a lot with the version and therefore not documented.

For some situations you may need them. But I always just believe the scripts I find then.
Site http://www.ixora.com.au/ describes much about X$-views. And it can help to really get to know Oracle internals.

An example - and one of my favorites - is X$KSMLRU which is usefull when there is severe fragmentation of the shared pool. It shows what came into the shared pool that caused something else to be flushed out, how many chunks where flushed and the size. A bizar property is that it is erased every time you select from it and it stores only the last 10 occurences. Detailed description in Metalink note 61623.1.

Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> schreef in berichtnieuws 1efdad5b.0205300957.51a1184f_at_posting.google.com...