Re: performance and scalability of oracle server

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 19:59:34 +0100

"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3CED08F9.5D9F92D6_at_exesolutions.com...
> Mr Matthew Lobegeiger wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I'm doing a university assignment on performance and scalability of 3
tier web
> > information systems. I'm just wondering if anyone could tell me where i
could
> > find some info on oracle server, specifically why it is better (or
possibly not
> > as good) as other database servers with regards to performance and
scalability.
> > Any info would be appreciated. thanks :)
<snip>

> If you want to get past the hyperbole from public relations and marketing
folks you
> will need to ask specific questions and only of people that have worked
extensively
> with multiple systems.

And also you need to define your terms and remit carefully. For example it is often claimed that either Oracle or DB2 is the most scalable database in the world. (depends upon who you listen to). The URL below suggests perhaps otherwise

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/BFROOT/www/Public/Computing/Databases/index.sht ml

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA