Re: Oracle only utilising single processor

From: Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 May 2002 08:56:19 -0700

Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<ac9sff$ntsaf$1_at_ID-82084.news.dfncis.de>...
> On Sun, 19 May 2002 10:10:56 -0400, Justin Richardson wrote:
>
> > We are evaluating various configurations to improve performance on an
> > Oracle Server. Using a Sun V880, with 8 processors, 32GB memory and
> > Oracle 8.1.7.
> >
> > Spread the tables over various spindles so there is little or no IO
> > queues.
> >
> > However performance is still poor as the benchmark/job we have to test is
> > only using a single processor. The other 7 do relatively little, with
> > one processor maxed out for the 2 hour test.
> >
> > Is there any Oracle tuning that can spread the load?
> >
> > Would Parallel Query Server help? If so how can I tell if this is
> > configured or installed? Any recommendations for configuring/tuning the
> > database for PQS?
> >
> > Many thanks
>

> PQO (Parallel Query Option) is installed together with enterprise edition
> of Oracle 8i (and 8.1.7 is 8i) which means that you most probably have it
> installed. To set it up and forget it, turn on the following two
> parameters:
> parallel_adaptive_multi_user
> parallel_automatic_tuning

Don't forget:

parallel_max_servers, make it > 1, otherwise you won't have parallel query. optimizer_percent_parallel. This one is tricky. You can set it on the session level, in this case 100 would be a good idea, for the session with parallel query execution.
Also:
hash_area_size. Documentation suggests you need at least 8M for parallel query. Give your parallel session as much as you can.

Couple more suggestions.

  1. Parallel query is good for very big tables only. If table is less that 100M in size, forget about it. And you either have to hint the table in the query as parallel, or set it parallel when creating. And of course it's good for full table scans only.
  2. Even if you table is big, it should be spread through several disks for efficient parallel query. It works best when you are using RAID with big cache.