Re: Oracle only utilising single processor

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_NOSPAM_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 19:59:43 GMT

OPQ helps best with parallel ops, most strikingly, with full table scan type queries, where the table is striped physically across spindles.

The parallel option now helps also with loading from SQLLDR, assuming you go through the grief of chopping up your load data file and splitting it across spindles.

OP also helps with building and rebuilding indices, and of course has helped with system recovery and restart for a while (you can define in init.ora multiple servers to assist with all that tedious mess of reconstructing a database)

But you do have to have EE, and you do have to enable it. But I can say with some authority, that performance using PQ, raw I/O, striping across spindles, is unspeakably better in performance for full table scans, when there is no good way to index the thing.

RSH.