Re: Mixed propogation mode replication

From: David Simpson <dsimpson_at_dotcomsolutionsinc.net>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 15:03:25 GMT

Barry,

I don't have the Replication Manager GUI in front of me right now so I am not sure where you might be missing the sync/async selection. You should be very certain that you really want to change to synchronous, (if this is what you want to do) because this means that a failure of either server or the comm link between them will cause transactions on both servers to lock up waiting for the situation to be resolved.

I generally avoid using the Replication Manager GUI when setting up Advanced Replication. I wrote an application called Repgen which automatically generates advanced replication setup, removal and monitoring scripts along with the documentation for the replicated setup. For some Replication setups I have spent literally days writing and testing scripts manually, but now I use Repgen to create them in a few seconds and without any syntax errors. http://www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net/products/repgen/repgen_features_benefits.h tml

You might want to look at the sample scripts on my web site (for Oracle 8.1.6 - 9.0.1):
http://www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net/products/repgen/repgen_files.html

Or you may download a demo version and look at the sample scripts on your own computer:
http://www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net/downloads/demo_software/index.html

One of the critical aspects of Advanced Replication which is automatically handled by the scripts created by Repgen is the setup of conflict resolution. An incorrect setup of the conflict resolution parameters will cause data divergence between the replicated systems - which is not desirable.

David Simpson

"bgt0990" <btighe_at_neometrics.com> wrote in message news:3ce946b8_6_at_corp-goliath.newsgroups.com...
> We are looking at seting up a mixed propogation mode disaster recovery
site
> for a client. (Cause that's what was sold to them) We are using 8.1.7.1.5
> Enterprise. I can see how to change the propogation mode with the API
call
> dbms_repcat.alter_master_propogation I can not figure out how to do this
in
> the GUI the Technet instructions say
>
> How modify Data Propagation Mode?
>
> To change the data propagation mode from one master site to another in a
> master group, use the destination map for the group in Replication
Manager.