Re: Two Oracle owners on one box .....

From: Patrick <buckeye234_at_excite.com>
Date: 17 May 2002 08:46:33 -0700

Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3CE3F5DD.8AD20BC7_at_exesolutions.com>...

> What does moving multiple databases to a server have to do with multiple installations of the Oracle software?
>
> Daniel Morgan

In and of itself, nothing. The problem is the addition of the mission critical application. It is only critical during from 7am to 7pm. I can do maintenance during off hours.

This database is the basis of our banks teller application. If the database is down, then tellers in our banking offices have a tough time doing their jobs. The consolidated server (or primary) is a P680 with twelve processors (24 MAX) and twelve Gb memory. The HACMP fail-over server is a B80 with 4-proceesor and 4 Gb of memory. Obviuosly it can't handle the total load.

Since we have only the one database to fail-over, and we have plenty of maintenance time, we decided to install Oracle on the EMC disk and inslude it in the HACMP fialover process. This way, we need only to maintain/patch one set of binaries for the teller app. Also, this is a third party app and the version is driven by the third-party vendor.

Now that we are adding other databases to the consolidated server, we felt it was best to keep the oracle binaries for the other databases TOTALLY seperate from the teller stuff. One way to insure this, is to use a seperate UNIX account for the owner. Hence, the reason for my original question.

Later,
Patrick Received on Fri May 17 2002 - 10:46:33 CDT