Re: Seeking advice: Oracle9i OCP certification

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 13 May 2002 09:03:49 -0700

In article <3cdfcbcc$1_at_pull.gecm.com>, "George says...

>Right let me get this straight!
>What were looking for here is a candidiate with fifteen years experience in
>Oracle9i release 2, Oracle7 doesn't cut it because it doesn't have those
>fancy "E" numbers in it, and who now uses Oracle8i?
>Our candidate would preferably be under nineteen, cos anyone over nineteen
>tends to be in their twenties, or thirties or fourties or dribbles a lot.
>The data will be stored in the Oracle database until it reaches a complete
>screenfull, after which it should be transferred to a plastic box card index
>system; this would negate the need for using or learning those horrible
>init<THINGY>.ora number/script parma., parmaaa.. paramit parameats
>........variables!
>I realise this would entail a lot of writting, but hey! isn't that why were
>here?
>
>George Barour.

George

Call me obtuse if you want, but I really can't see what your posting has to do with my answer to the OP. Can you please clarify?

>"Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in message
>> In article <24637f40.0205120414.52445e96_at_posting.google.com>,
>> prodbsolutions_at_yahoo.com.au says...
>> >
>> >I have been into Progress DBMS for a couple of years. I have been
>> >thinking of taking an Oracle9i OCP certification exams in the near
>> >future, but I am new to Oracle and have only some Oracle database
>> >administration knowledge (such as quering tables, and upgrading tables
>> >structures). I have had Oracle8i installed on my Windows NT 4.0
>> >server, and it soon will be upgraded to Oracle9i.
>> >
>> >I would like to get one set of Oracle certification books, probably
>> >OCP Oracle9i DBA Certification Boxed Set (by Jason S. Couchman), and
>> >using all the resources available to get an Oracle9i OCP
>> >certification.
>> >
>> >Has anyone, with similar background as mine, passed the exam by doing
>> >the same (or similar) way?
>> >
>> >Thank you in advance.
>> >
>> >Danny
>> >Progress Developer
>>
>> Danny
>>
>> Almost certainly people have done this before. In fact, one of the best
>Oracle
>> instructors I knew came from a Progress background, and learnt Oracle by
>playing
>> around with it, asking questions and so on. WIll it be easier if you had
>> experience? Undoubtedly.
>>
>> As for the books, I would suggest searching through this newsgroup for
>some
>> discussions going back a few months. Apparently Couchman's books had a
>number
>> of errors in the 8i and earlier releases. A lot of that information was
>> provided to Jason, but I'm not sure if it was in time to have an effect on
>the
>> 9i books. I also haven't personally looked at the 9i release of his
>books, so I
>> can't verify whether changes were made.
>>
>> HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.
>>
>> Pete
>>
>> SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Mon May 13 2002 - 11:03:49 CDT