Re: Is that true: IBM overtakes Oracle in total database sales

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 08:37:44 -0400

Most of the daily traffic in c.d.i-db2 is related to DB2 UDB which does not reflect the actual distribution of DB2 UDB vs DB2 UDB for 390 revenue. Also note that there is a difference between installed base (that would be most of the posters in a newsgroup) and new licence revenue (that would be the newbees, if there is any correlation at all). Oracle marketing is driving to a large extend the point that they have the bigger installed base in RDBMS. Gartner did not evaluate this (and I haven't seen IBM disputing that fact). Interestingly DB2 UDB 390 (RDBMS and actively competing with Oracle, like it or not) and IMS are also "installed base". Just not the one that Oracle likes to be compared against. I wonder if there is a survey on total DBMS marketshare (recurring revenue, #terabytes, #transactions, ...)

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau