Re: lies damn lies and benchmarks

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 10:22:20 +0100

"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3CD83288.8859CA2D_at_exesolutions.com...
> When Microsoft figures out how to do multiversioning.

I bet it knows exactly how to do it. Intellectual Property can stifle as well as stimulate competition, and if Oracle doesn't have the rollback/undo mechanism tied up tightly in IP then I'm a banana.

> When Microsoft figures
> out how to now run out of row level locks. When Microsoft figures out how
> run on more than one operating system.

Who cares. No really. Its all a question of tools for the job if NT on cheapish Intel server hardware will do the job then why buy a big sun box. In fact one of the value arguments in favour of RAC is that you can duplicate expensive sun kit functinality on cheap compaq hardware.

>. When Microsoft builds a system

> capable of running 7x24x365 ... then I will concern myself with what
> Microsoft does.

Can Oracle? What operating system would that be running on and how many oracle patches are you applying per year. ever changed an itit.ora parameter. What about power or network work in the server room that necessitates downtime? FWIW all my Oracle systems have mean time between reboots of less than 90 days over the last year. In 80% of cases that downtime was due to external circumstances not connected with the database platform.

I'm not saying that Oracle is a bad product. I'mn just saying that the database market is a lot larger than the telcos and Beings of this world. MSSQL is a serious competitor in this market and not just because MS marketing is better than Oracle marketing. They are pushing a good product.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA