Re: lies damn lies and benchmarks

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 20:01:20 GMT

Andrew Mobbs wrote:

> Mike Ault <mikerault_at_earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> >Looking at the most current top ten values overall Oracle achieves a
> >TPCC/CPU-MGHTZ rating of 8.11 beaten only by Symphonies 8.24 (whatever
> >the heck Symphony is) SQL2000 comes in 4th place at 3.36. The most
> >bang for the buck comes in with Oracle's 1,019,668.87 per
> >TPCC/CPU-Mghrtz against SQL2000 at 1,592,560.56. UDB comes in at 4.92
> >and a cost of 1,733,687.45. UDB beats SQL2000 in TPCC/CPU-Mghtz but
> >looses in overall price. Oracle beats both handling when you remove
> >the obscuring junk in the numbers.
>
> Who cares about TpmC/MHz ? That's a meaningless metric. CPU performance
> is only loosely correlated with the clock speed, if you look at the SPEC
> CPU benchmarks, you can find a 750MHz PA-RISC outperforming a 1.5GHz
> Pentium 4.
>
> Oracle is a great database, with many impressive and useful
> features. TPC-C shows it scaling to impressive levels, but it (and
> Unix vendors) fall down dramatically on price/performance in the
> mid-range. Unless Oracle and HP/IBM/Sun want to give up this ground to
> MS, they better do something to fix this.
>
> For example, compare these two results:
> http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_result_detail.asp?id=102031101
> http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_result_detail.asp?id=102012901
>
> These show two benchmarks both published earlier this year, with an
> IBM/SQL Server system outperforming an Compaq/Oracle system that cost
> twice as much.
>
> --
> Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/

When Microsoft figures out how to do multiversioning. When Microsoft figures out how to now run out of row level locks. When Microsoft figures out how to run on more than one operating system. When Microsoft builds a database that isn't so easy to hack into that there are companies on the internet promoting tools for extracting passwords. When Microsoft builds a system capable of running 7x24x365 ... then I will concern myself with what Microsoft does.

I don't worry about Oracle's marketing efforts. That is not my concern. Larry can worry about that for himself.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue May 07 2002 - 15:01:20 CDT