Re: Access to V$ views

From: Ed <esicl_at_aol.com>
Date: 8 May 2002 02:22:15 -0700

Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3CD8344A.F24B4382_at_exesolutions.com>...

> Please don't take this the wrong way. But if I had someone claiming 10
> years of Oracle beginning with version 5, that had to ask for help in
> coming up with reasons why they need access to V$ views I would take away
> their create table privilege too.

Ouch!! OK, I won't take it the wrong way. I did, in fact, come up with many of the same reasons myself. However, even with my vast experience [;-)], I don't consider myself perfect. I do look at things from a developer's rather than a DBA's point of view. If I'm in a meeting with my DBA and he says 'No way - it'll affect performance' (a fairly typical riposte with him), then I'd like to be as confident as possible in my position. I've never come across performance issues, but, I'm not so arrogant as to assume that because I haven't come across such issues, they don't neccessarily exist! I learn new things about Oracle every day.

> The reason for denying it is paranoia ... a developer might figure out
> that they don't know what they are doing.
> They are insecure ... they think you might try to do what they perceive
> to be their job.

This is exactly what I thought.

> The reason for granting access is that no developer can get within 100
> meters of competence without them. Likely you don't have the ability to
> kill development sessions either. Something I consider a near criminal
> act.
>
> Daniel Morgan

Not a chance of that - I like being able to flush the shared pool too.  Of course, I don't go round coding infinite loops in my PL/SQL very often, so killing sessions is not a number one priority :-)

Regards,

Ed Received on Wed May 08 2002 - 04:22:15 CDT