Re: inconsistent error in a package

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 20:04:52 GMT

Ryan Gaffuri wrote:

> Im at a loss on this one. I am calling a package that does a simple
> check of a business rule. Very simple calculations.
>
> I will sometimes get an Ora-01722 and ora-06511 error. This was
> happening earlier because it could not handle null data and a
> calculation was failing.
>
> However, I am now passing good data. Here is what happens.
>
> 1. I try to execute the package from sqlplus and pass it values. It
> fails with that error.
> 2. I log onto a different user and call the same package(I
> specifically say to call the one in the other schema). It works. I
> then go back to the original schema and execute the package. It now
> works every time.
>
> Case 2:
>
> 1. I execute the package from a button in a form. I make a new form
> that just has this button and I run the same execution script that
> calls the one from the database. It fails with that same error every
> time.
> 2. I go to SQLPLUS and execute the exact same thing with a copy and
> paste of the same script. It runs every time and is successful.
> 3. I then log into the other user and execute it. It fails. I then
> have it execute a duplicate of this package from Uers 2's schema and
> it works. I then am able to execute the original package from the
> form.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to atleast isolate this? I have no
> idea why this is happening. I have taken out all extraneous code and
> have a new form with just a button. So nothing is interferring. There
> isnt a problem with the roles either. I would get a different error if
> there was.

It would be helpful if you posted enough information for anyone to be able to help you.

I, for one, am not going to look up ORA-##### messages. You can post the full message text. And knowing what parameters are required and how you are passing them might be essential. Also, does your Oracle database have a version number?

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue May 07 2002 - 15:04:52 CDT