Re: Which one is better? Oracel 9i or DB2 7.2??

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 19:41:50 +0100

"Pablo Sanchez" <pablo_at_dev.null> wrote in message news:vmzB8.52$rR4.52417_at_news.uswest.net...
> I would give more weight to something like the TPC than PC Magazine's
> BM.
>
> With the TPC, you do get all vendors (hardware and software)
> participating. You avoid 'excuses.'

Depends on what you want though. The *cheapest* Oracle TPC-C result I can find is at

http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_result_detail.asp?id=102012901

and that has a total cost of 3/4 million us dollars. That aint realistic for many many organisations. Equally I think Oracle has a great value proposition for organisations that spend way under a million dollars per system.

I also note that the best IBM result is for a windows 2000 setup!

In the end though the only benchmark that counts is your app running on your hardware.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA