Re: Which one is better? Oracel 9i or DB2 7.2??

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 14:54:11 -0600

"Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com> wrote in message news:3cd6ce70$0$8513$cc9e4d1f_at_news.dial.pipex.com...
> "Pablo Sanchez" <pablo_at_dev.null> wrote in message
> > I would give more weight to something like the TPC than PC
Magazine's
> > BM.
> >
> > With the TPC, you do get all vendors (hardware and software)
> > participating. You avoid 'excuses.'
>
> Depends on what you want though. The *cheapest* Oracle TPC-C result
I can
> find is at
>
> http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_result_detail.asp?id=102012901
>
> and that has a total cost of 3/4 million us dollars. That aint
realistic for
> many many organisations. Equally I think Oracle has a great value
> proposition for organisations that spend way under a million dollars
per
> system.
>
> I also note that the best IBM result is for a windows 2000 setup!
>
> In the end though the only benchmark that counts is your app running
on your
> hardware.

I think you may have misunderstood my point or perhaps I wasn't clear. Probably the latter. Benchmarks are very time consuming and resource intensive, hence most shops cannot bench their application and which is the reason for the TPC benchmarks.

What I was trying to state was if you want to compare vendor to vendor where an industry-wide benchmark is to be used, where each vendor (hw and sw) are going to pour their little hearts into the benchmark, seek the TPC. You'll get an audited, fully disclosed benchmark. The benchmarks themselves are created by all the vendors: hardware and software.

I had the ... ahm .. honor? .. of doing a _tiny_ bit of work on the TPC-C spec and all vendors were present: