Re: http://www.hjrdba.com/

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 3 May 2002 08:29:59 -0700

In article <aatr32$9ti$1_at_babylon.agtel.net>, "Vladimir says...

>Once again, corporate greed backed by copyright laws, came to play
>and prevented free dissemination of information, even though it
>actually was in favor for Oracle...

I don't believe this was corporate greed. WHether we like it or not, anything we put out on our own time needs to go through all sorts of hoops and jumps with Legal, because when we get something wrong, as an Oracle employee Oracle can get sued for this. This can be particularly dangerous in the backup/recovery area because one piece of wrong advice can lead to a corrupted database.

Now I;m not saying that anything Howard had on his site was wrong. I hadn't looked at everything on the site so I can't make that comment. But our Legal guys (as with any Legal guys) don't take any chances (plus they wouldn't know a technical error if it leapt up and hit them over the head with a piece of 4x2!)

I had to go through similar hoops and jumps to get the right to publish my 8i Architecture and Administration exam cram book. I didn't like it much then, I don't like it much in Howard's case, but I can understand their viewpoint. It's unfortunate, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Of course, we could always leave Oracle and then not have this concern ... ;)

>You may use Google cache for the site at
>http://www.google.com.ru/search?q=cache:5ZtRpW5vqFUC:www.hjrdba.com/+&hl=en
>while it lasts - Oracle will indeed request this information to be removed from
>the
>cache soon...
>
>--
>Vladimir Zakharychev (bob@dpsp-yes.com) http://www.dpsp-yes.com
>Dynamic PSP(tm) - the first true RAD toolkit for Oracle-based internet
>applications.
>All opinions are mine and do not necessarily go in line with those of my
>employer.
>

>"Rudy Susanto" <rsusanto_at_atlas-sp.com> wrote in message
>> I'm so sad right now because i'm a new comer to oracle. I have visited
>> several times but i haven't read all the materials.
>>
>> Rudy Susanto
>>

>>"Leigh" <leighlhg_at_shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> > I agree. I was surprised and disappointed to find the website gone.
>> >
>> > Leigh
>> >
>> > "wangbin" <wangbin_at_start.com.au> wrote in message

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Fri May 03 2002 - 10:29:59 CDT