"SYSTEM RUNNING OUT OF PAGING SPACE" (AIX-HACMP-Oracle)

From: Arne S <apsodal-NOSPAM_at_online.no>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 21:01:20 GMT

Aixers!

I've got a problem that all of a sudden came up after update of AIX to ML09 and upgrade of Oracle from 7.4.3 to 8.1.7: The machine is sometimes slowing down, and at the end I have to turn it off and back on again. After the machine is up again, I find this error in the error log:

LABEL:          PGSP_KILL
IDENTIFIER:     C5C09FFA

Date/Time:       fre  02-04-26 05:33:
Sequence Number: 3811
Machine Id:      0040AD3A4C00
Node Id:         bsprod
Class:           S
Type:            PERM

Resource Name: SYSVMM

Description
SOFTWARE PROGRAM ABNORMALLY TERMINATED Probable Causes
SYSTEM RUNNING OUT OF PAGING SPACE Failure Causes
INSUFFICIENT PAGING SPACE DEFINED FOR THE SYSTEM PROGRAM USING EXCESSIVE AMOUNT OF PAGING SPACE

        Recommended Actions
        DEFINE ADDITIONAL PAGING SPACE
        REDUCE PAGING SPACE REQUIREMENTS OF PROGRAM(S)

Detail Data
PROGRAM
oracle
USER'S PROCESS ID:
       66786
PROGRAM'S PAGING SPACE USE IN 1KB BLOCKS          152

Could it be the the valuse of "ulimit -a"? My new Oracle 8.1.7 is owned by the user "oracle8" instead of the old "oracle". ulimit -a for oracle:
$ ulimit -a
time(seconds)        unlimited
file(blocks)         unlimited
data(kbytes)         unlimited
stack(kbytes)        unlimited
memory(kbytes)       unlimited
coredump(blocks)     unlimited

nofiles(descriptors) unlimited

ulimit -a for oracle8:
$ ulimit -a

time(seconds)        unlimited
file(blocks)         unlimited
data(kbytes)         131072
stack(kbytes)        32768
memory(kbytes)       32768
coredump(blocks)     unlimited

nofiles(descriptors) 2000

Info about the environment:
2 * RS/6000
AIX 4.3.3-09
Hacmp 4.3.1 (cluster.base.server.rte 4.3.1.16) SSA disks in concurrent VG
Oracle 8.1.7.0.0 (raw device for db files) Mem 2GB
Paging 2GB

Any ideas??

TIA! Arne S Received on Fri Apr 26 2002 - 16:01:20 CDT