Re: RAID 1 vs RAID 5

From: Praveen Tummala <praveen.tummala_at_teleatlas.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 17:10:40 GMT

François Bourdages wrote:

> HI,
> We have hybrid database (OLTP and DSS). Some tables are historical
> data tables, dans some others tables are updated frequently.
>
> Let say we don't have money problem. (but i'm still working!)
>
> Witch RAID configuration is best for historical Data (often read,
> never change) : RAID 1 or RAID 5. ? (witch give the best performance)

Hi,

It depends on how you implement RAID5 or RAID1. Software RAID or hardware RAID? Hardware RAID5 controller with reasonable cache can give better performance than it's software implementation. Obviously, RAID1 is best for redundancy. Because you say your data never change and assuming you perform backups, then RAID5 with a hot spare disk can be cost effective too. To know the exact difference, test it in your environment.

Regards,
Praveen.