RAID 1 vs RAID 5

From: François Bourdages <francois.bourdages_at_mobilair.qc.ca>
Date: 3 Apr 2002 06:14:57 -0800

HI,
We have hybrid database (OLTP and DSS). Some tables are historical data tables, dans some others tables are updated frequently.

Let say we don't have money problem. (but i'm still working!)

Witch RAID configuration is best for historical Data (often read, never change) : RAID 1 or RAID 5. ? (witch give the best performance)

What i read is that RAID 5 have the best random read performance and RAID 1 have the best random write performance. Is it true ?

Thanks.
François Received on Wed Apr 03 2002 - 08:14:57 CST