Re: TEMP tablespace grows all the time!

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 18:52:47 +1000

Not that this will help you, but here's your first mistake. Locally managed temporary tablespace should have extent sizes of sort_area_size or multiples thereof *without* the extra block, which is only of relevance for dictionary managed tablespace.

Your other mistake is to have autoextend on. Why? Assuming you have sized your temporary tablespace properly (which I expect you haven't), why would you want to allow it to increase for evermore? Take the autoextend off, increase the sort_area_size so you need the temporary tablespace less, and then diagnose the problems as and when particular reports fail due to lack of temporary tablespace. At that point, start looking at the code to see if something more efficient couldn't be done.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle : www.hjrdba.com