Re: How to design the database

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:01:26 GMT

The advice the prior writers have given is nothing I could argue with. It would be pointless overcomplication to create three instances (databases sorta kinda but people can argue the point of the difference between those two terms until the moon turns blue) to mirror what you have in SQL Server. Oracle Applications is structured that way, with separate users (as the others have called schemas, which can be confusing to someone new to Oracle; I prefer to think of Oracle as a collection of different users that own different things and have differing privileges; schema always implies to me a set of objects), but anyway... OA has users like PO (Purchasing), AR (Accounts Receivable), and so forth; so if Oracle Corporation arranges things that way, you could do far worse than by following their example.

Having said that, I'll contradict myself a bit. I have found that some applications, particularly those written for multiple RDBMS instead of just Oracle, may take the easy way out and insist on DBA privileges, or logging on as SYSTEM into Oracle (even worse) or even directly fiddling with Oracle's core, base tables like the data dictionary (truly the ultimate horrible).

Depending on your app, you may wish to consider having them in separate instances if they want to make use of privileges such as that.; better still of course, is not to use apps that do things like that.

Packaged 3rd party software seems to be the worst offender in wanting things that you would not want to grant to an application.

For whatever it's worth.

RSH.