Re: Oracle versus Microsoft Sqlserver 2000

From: Mike <mike.mcneer_at_umusic.com>
Date: 18 Mar 2002 08:48:21 -0800

damorgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3C922094.12A51E84_at_exesolutions.com>...
> Having worked with many of the RDBMSs, including those discussed here, there is no question in my mind
> that everyone prefers the product they know the best. Not because it is necessarily better ... but
> because it is what they know.
>
> It is just human nature.
>
> Daniel Morgan

Very True statement...Will agree with all that I still have alot to learn about Oracle. It does seem like a more complex product to work with though. This is where my future lies though and maybe I do not know enough yet of all the tools and features of oracle to easily accomplish what I need. I am trying to get a project done quickily so I do not have alot of time to study all the differences yet and the SQL *plus worksheet was the first thing I started working with to look at creating some simple queries and got quickily frustrated with it and may have formed a biased opinion from there. Oracle jobs are much more available than Db2 jobs in my area so even If I dont like it now I better learn to like it soon. :P

> Jeff wrote:
>
> > In article <81ffd231.0203141223.1f5eceed_at_posting.google.com>, mike.mcneer_at_umusic.com (Mike) wrote:
> > >far Oracle is looking like a big piece of crap compared to DB2. Whats
> > >with this SQL *PLUS Worksheet for one thing? Still havent found a way
> > >to stop a query from executing... Its the worst looking and using tool
> > >for a database I have ever seen. Google advice is to get a third
> >
> > SQL*Plus Worksheet isn't my favorite either. I prefer plain ol' SQLPLus
> > (windows version) to the Worksheet version. If you want to cancel a
> > long-ish query, simply get the mouse cursor to the file menu and
> > cancel--though, it will be rather sluggish getting the cursor to move up
> > there... try not to over-shoot. ;-)

Where do I find the SQLPLus as I did a full install of Enterprise Manager and am unsure of where it is. Also i checked out Toad and it does seem like a much better tool.

> > But, NO rdbms should be judged by its GUI tools. Oracle would still be
> > amongst the best rdbms's in the world even if it offered nothing more
> > (tool-wise) than character-based command-line utilities like svrmgrl and the
> > old sqlplus to manage it.

Certainly not judging the Rdbms by its GUI tools....Oracle or Db2 would diffently be my top 2 choices for a RDBMS.

> > This, you'll have to explain what you mean, as you sound pretty clueless here.
> > Perhaps our understanding of the terminology (instance, database, schema) for
> > Oracle and DB2 are different.

Agreed the terminolgy is different and I have to learn more of the Oracle terminology.to be able to explain this better. Received on Mon Mar 18 2002 - 10:48:21 CST