Re: newbie qestion: how to log on

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 03:59:12 +1100

Oh dear.

It's NOT the database, so the fact you can log in to that with assorted design tools is irrelevant.

What you're telling me is that you have installed Oracle. And you've installed Oracle Enterprise Manager. Two different products.

Under the Enterprise Manager menu, there is an option for 'Configure Management Server'. Whn you run that, it will prompt you to create a Management Server repository -in fact, it will even prompt you to create a brand new database in which the repository can be stored. You don't *have* to have a new database, but you won'y meaningfully be able to use OEM to startup and shutdown if you store the repository within your existing database. Only when you've created a Management Server can you expect to be able to log in to it.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com