Re: Control files are updated constantly

From: Uwe Schneider <uwe_at_richard-schneider.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 22:10:23 +0100

Orlando Amador wrote:

> Using a file monitoring tool from www.sysinternals.com it looks like
> the database control files are being updated every 2 o 3 seconds. The
> database is fairly small and other files like redo, or data files are
> not being updated that frequently.
>
> Is it normal for oracle.exe to write every few seconds to control
> files?

In my installation here (Oracle 8.0.5 on Linux) the CKPT process (the checkpointer) periodically (after 3 seconds) writes small amounts of data to each controlfile. Exactly spoken it rewrites the very first DB block in these files, which is a very small amount of data compared to the other write calls.

If the database is under heavier load, the CKPT process has to record much more in the control files, e.g. the log history and the SCN's for the data files.

> Is this adjustable?

I haven't found anything about that, but even if it were ten times more I wouldn't care about that...

Uwe

--
Uwe Schneider       | Telefon +49 7244 / 609504
Haydnstr. 1         | Mail    uwe_at_richard-schneider.de