Re: CONFESSION TIME.

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 10:28:35 GMT

Niall Litchfield doodled thusly:

>Errors in file g:\oracle\admin\agr\udump\ORA00630.TRC:
>ORA-01115: IO error reading block from file 7 (block # 49930)
>ORA-01110: data file 7: 'F:\ORACLE\AGR\AGR_AGRTEMP.DBF'
>ORA-27091: skgfqio: unable to queue I/O
>OSD-04026: Invalid parameter passed. (OS 49929)

Oh shewt! I've seen this b4, but in Unix. It was a bug with boundary code (4Gb): a word (or byte. or whatever) was lost right at boundary.

>So now we are recovering. My question is - my understanding was that 'ALTER
>DATABASE DATAFILE BLAH RESIZE <SOME SIZE> would fail if there was data in
>the file beyond the requested resize. I am unclear as to why oracle has lost
>its grip on the datafile size. any clues.

the bug. it totally ignores that little bit of data around the 4Gb boundary. and loses track of addresses, pointers, etc. Nothing to do with NTFS, AFAIK. Same happens with Unix. 32-bit thing.

>Flames along the lines of

last thing you need now is flames.

>Windows NT4 sp6a

Surprising. I thought this problem was restricted to nix.

>8.1.6.1 SE database.

surprising too. that version should not have this error. it happened a lot with 8.0.x, but seldom with 8.1.x. Maybe a left-over?

>OEM 2.2

that could be part of the problem, but I don't know enough of its operation in NT to comment.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Fri Mar 08 2002 - 04:28:35 CST