Re: Problem when inserting data into UTF8 database using VB and ADO

From: Vesa Nopanen <nopanen_at_quartal.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 08:42:24 +0200

Hello.

Since I found a some kind of solution I though I'd better post it here as well.

Instead of a Oracle ODBC I used OraOLEDB.Oracle driver, not forgetting the parameter PLSQLRSet=1 to support Result Sets returned by stored procedures. That solution worked perfect with a test program. But I still had the same error (character set mismatch) with our real application. Our application is built on several layers and one layer is handling all sql and procedure calls to server (just the interface). What I found out is that we use disconnected recordsets when we access database.

So my guess is that you can't use disconnected recordsets with Oracle if you want to update the recordset data later. Maybe it'll work with Oracle 9 but I don't have a Oracle 9 server to test it.

"Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in message

> "Vesa Nopanen" <nopanen_at_quartal.com> wrote:
>

> It is no different that attempting to insert CHAR data into a NUMBER
> column.

I don't know what happened with disconnected recordset but the data was in a right datatype when it was fetched and reopening recordset somehow changed the datatypes.

> The problem is on the client side. It can be in any of the layers -
> VB, ADO, ODBC, or whatever else there is hidden beneath the VB bonnet
> (a bonnet is a car's hood for you American guys).
It seems to me that the problem is in Oracle drivers.

> If that does not do the job, I would start looking at ADO and see if
> there are problem there.. er actually I am lying. I would have used
> Delphi from the start and not silly VB. :-)

Well, VB was not my choice to make. I would have used C++. =) Our application is intended to run on Oracle, SQLServer and on DB2 (and possible on other rdmses as well) and when it was developed SQLServer was the only platform in mind..

Thank you for your input. That pushed me to look for a new drivers (and installing OleDB drivers for Oracle) and MDAC.

Vesku
nopanen_at_quartal.com Received on Wed Mar 06 2002 - 00:42:24 CST