Re: Problem when inserting data into UTF8 database using VB and ADO

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 06:30:22 GMT

"Vesa Nopanen" <nopanen_at_quartal.com> wrote:

>I am unable to insert data into table which has NVARCHAR2 column using
>Visual Basic and ADO.
>What happens is that I get a [Oracle][Ora]ORA-12704 character set mismatch
>error.

This is not really an Oracle problem. No amount of tuning and changing parameters will cause Oracle to suddenly accept "garbage data" (I hope! ;-).

It is no different that attempting to insert CHAR data into a NUMBER column.

The problem is on the client side. It can be in any of the layers - VB, ADO, ODBC, or whatever else there is hidden beneath the VB bonnet (a bonnet is a car's hood for you American guys).

My first shot would be at installing the latest MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Component?). This has worked for me when running into strange problems (Oracle syntax errors) using the latest Oracle ODBC drivers from tools such as MS Query.

If that does not do the job, I would start looking at ADO and see if there are problem there.. er actually I am lying. I would have used Delphi from the start and not silly VB. :-)

--
Billy