Re: Oracle Instance Terminated

From: Yaw <yawi_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 06:06:54 GMT

> The Database Administration Course is a 5 day official Oracle course.
It's
> considered the starting point to the full-blown DBA stream (which also
> consists of a 4-day Backup and Recovery course, a 5-day Performance Tuning
> course, and a 2-day Networking Administration course). Taken as a whole,
> those 4 areas would be considered the bare minimum for anyone wanting to
do
> real DBA work. I happen to teach those courses, amongst others... though
> I'm not suggesting you can't be a DBA unless you've been on them. Plenty
of
> excellent DBAs are self-taught, having downloaded the free software from
> technet.oracle.com, and then just hacked around for months on end, sorting
> things out, breaking things, fixing things.
I think I'll go with the breaking and fixing approach. :) I'd go for a course, however they do seem a little out of my budget. :)

> Having the administration of a database 'delegated' to you *does* make you
> DBA, incidentally. It's just a question of how *good* a DBA you want to
> become. I hope the stuff here, and on the various sites, helps start you
on
> what can be a fascinating journey.

You're right. It does make me a DBA. I'll try and be a good one. :)

> Just a final thought: have you resolved the original problem yet, or not?!
Yes I did. It was so late by the time I fixed it, I just went to sleep and forgot to post an answer. It was a MS Win2k Server problem. Win2k was using the same control files as Oracle for log keeping (I don't know why) and as such latched itself to it. So what happened was: 1. Win2k could not write further on the log, as the log was not saved - so it stopped recording.
2. Oracle needed to write to the log, but couldn't because Win2k wouldn't let go.
I had to go into Administrative Tools > Events Log and delete all the logged events.

That then fixed it. I found the solution on the web somewhere. Anyway, everything is still intact. Phew. :)

Yaw. Received on Sun Mar 03 2002 - 00:06:54 CST