Re: Oracle Instance Terminated

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 10:48:35 +1100

Not a problem. Like I said, we all had to start somewhere (I think it was the line "You have got to be kidding. Oracle just kills itself?!" that got under the skin of some. I think it's kind of assumed here that Oracle is a decent product that, no, doesn't just kill *itself*, but occasionally blows up because of configuration/OS/memory/hardware issues, at which point diagnosis is king).

The Database Administration Course is a 5 day official Oracle course. It's considered the starting point to the full-blown DBA stream (which also consists of a 4-day Backup and Recovery course, a 5-day Performance Tuning course, and a 2-day Networking Administration course). Taken as a whole, those 4 areas would be considered the bare minimum for anyone wanting to do real DBA work. I happen to teach those courses, amongst others... though I'm not suggesting you can't be a DBA unless you've been on them. Plenty of excellent DBAs are self-taught, having downloaded the free software from technet.oracle.com, and then just hacked around for months on end, sorting things out, breaking things, fixing things.

Having the administration of a database 'delegated' to you *does* make you a DBA, incidentally. It's just a question of how *good* a DBA you want to become. I hope the stuff here, and on the various sites, helps start you on what can be a fascinating journey.

Just a final thought: have you resolved the original problem yet, or not?!

Best regards,
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
===============================

"Yaw" <yawi_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message

> No, I wouldn't call you a flame. The information you provided is quite
> useful. Actually, every single reply to my post is useful, because they
> generally suggest another approach. I'm not expecting every approach to
be
> a solution, but at least it can help eliminate one out of the many
possible
> causes for error out there.
>
> My undertone was never that Oracle was a crap/prone to crash/ too
difficult
> to bother with product. At the expense of being labelled a troll and
> starting a flame war, I think sometimes people take questions about Oracle
> too personal. I never intended to offend people by asking what I now
> realise to be extremely simple questions. I probably would have found the
> problems with alertlogs myself if I had the right documentation. However,
> as you can see the documentations I found weren't so useful in this
> situation.
>
> You're right, there are other documentation out there not on the OTN site
> which may have been useful. But I was looking for the Offical Oracle
> documentation on the Oracle website, and found nothing. I was probably
> looking for it in the wrong place or something.
>
> When you refer to the Oracle Database Administration course, is that an
> actual course or just book? Because when you raise this, I start to think
> that you're probably assuming that if I'm enquiring about DBA stuff, I
> really should have some basic DBA knowledge. Which is a fair enough
> assumption. I've only just starting using Oracle about a month a ago, and
> so I'm not a DBA. I just so happen to be the guy in charge of
administering
> the DB as it's the task deligated to me.
>
> Thanks for your website link. I'll definitely have a look through it.
Some