Re: Maximum Oracle instances on a Server?

From: Mark <mark_at_foxhillgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 04:16:14 GMT

We run separate servers for DSS and OLTP, with multiple instances on each server (up to 15) with multiple applications (schemas) per instance( 5 - 10). We are running on Sun 4500's with multiple CPU's and SAN storage.

This configuration has worked well in the past but recently we have run into situations where we needed to do "emergency maintenance" on one of the schemas to restore the schema to the state before the users truncated the production tables thinking they waer test data. The application, from a vendor not home grown, has the test and production data in separate schemas but the application allows users to switch between prod and test at will.) We could not get the approval of the other application owners to take down the instance for the repairs. So the first group had to wait. This would not have been an issue if the application was in its own instance.

 This event (along with a number of others) has resulted in a project to determine the resource requirements to move all applications into their own instances. We may be looking at nearly 200 instances by the time we are through.