Re: log file sync

From: Terry Sutton <terrysutton_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 22:39:19 GMT

Thanks for the response. I suppose it is somewhat relevant how long the instance has been up, though I would think that log file syncs representing 56% of the total wait time would be some concern regardless of the length of time the instance has been up. The statistics I posted were taken when the instance had been up for about a day. So the time waited, which was 538 minutes, seems substantial to me. During a recent 6 day period, the log file sync waits totalled 1929 minutes (115727 seconds), or 38% of the total wait events of the instance.

I am primarily tuning the database. The statistics I posted were the top wait events for the instance, which is the first place I look when tuning. Latch free waits are 0.3% of total time waited (and the vast majority of these are shared pool, library cache, and cache buffer chains), so the problem doesn't seem to be with redo-related latches.

It just seems that having log file syncs as such a large percentage of total waits suggests something might be improved, and I'm considering what that something is.

--Terry