Oracle SELECT triggers

From: Greg Arpino <greg.arpino_at_webloyalty.com>
Date: 25 Feb 2002 14:56:36 -0800

Does anybody know if Oracle has any plans to provide triggers on SELECT statements?

I have a table that requires auditing. In addition to the standard data that Oracle records with Oracle auditing, I want to record certain application context related information and information from v$session such as program and module.

Since oracle does not provide SELECT triggers in 8.1.6, I created a security policy on the table that is based on a function the inserts the required data into a separate auditing table that I created. The function returns NULL as the predicate.

I cannot think of any reason why this is a bad alternative to a SELECT trigger, but if anybody else knows of a good reason, the input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Greg Received on Mon Feb 25 2002 - 16:56:36 CST