building Oracle using scripts

From: KJ <khash23_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Feb 2002 14:34:36 -0800

Database:

I want to be able to recreate a database (oracle 9 i) used by our project. What sort of scripts do I need to write in order to create a new database instance from assuming any of the following initial states:
1. Bare machine(Solaris or Linux) with no database software installed. 2. Bare machine(Solaris, or Linux) with only Oracle 9i installed on it.
3. Running database instance, with no application schema 4. Running database instance with loaded schema , but missing test data

So for instace, someone can get a script from CVS and type build_db and build the whole database.

I just need to be pointed to the right direction. What would be a good strategy? Has anyone done this? What sort of scripting language do I use for this?

Also for case 1 above: Can I install oracle 9i on a given Solaris box using Oracle's installer and then copy the appropriate directories ( I think everything under /apps and /oracledata/) to a different Solaris box and get it working? That way we won't have to do a full install for every box. Your thought on this please?

Many Thanks! Received on Mon Feb 25 2002 - 16:34:36 CST