Re: Can I Use 8i Knowledge in 9i ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 07:52:42 +1100

It's a very good question. I'm having some mental difficulty working out how I am going to teach people about automatic undo, dynamically resizable SGA components, default temporary and undo tablespaces, flashback, and workspaces when they've only got 8i without having half my class fall asleep on me. It'll can also be the same problem in reverse, of course: "You 9i people can now go to sleep for half an hour as I explain why ORA-1555s are a fact of life we have to deal with, or why Standby Databases have the following problems...". And so on.

The point is that you will be told 8i and 9i are very similar, and that all you learn about 8i will stand you in good stead for 9i. Mostly that's true. But in several key respects, 9i does things by default that were only options in 8i, or does things wildly different (undo and rollback springs to mind). I personally don't think it's an entirely smooth transition. Of course you can make 9i behave like 8i, and to that extent your learning *will* be 100% applicable. But then, if you were to do that, you'd have to ask why you were migrating to 9i in the first place!

And I think my essential point is that 9i isn't just a whole bunch of new features tacked on to 8i, which would be easy to learn just by adding to your store of knowledge; but is often a very different way of achieving the same things as 8i -which is difficult to learn, because it means changing an existing mindset.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com