Re: Deactivating Redo Logs on 9i?

From: koert54 <koert54_at_nospam.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 19:19:51 GMT

> short ;) and it was even a problem to get this Athlon 1 Gig and 768 MB
> RAM... My boss wants to have as much as possible oracle in the ram...
> And there are two oracle test db's running on that 'server'...
>
> If you would know what runs beside oracle on that one little server,
> you'd run away... Screaming, of course ;(

if you want optimized memory usage - run your db on RAW devices ... I have Oracle 9.0.1 DB, 8.1.7.1 DB running on Linux NEXT to 9iAS 1.0.2 and IBM DB2 on 256MB on a Pentium MMX 233Mhz (overclocked to 266MHz :-) ) My two Oracle databases are running on RAW devices to bypass the filesystem cache ...
It's not a supersystem but enough for testing and do-able partly because of the raw devices ... Oracle data shoud be cached in the SGA not in the filesystem cache :-)

If you want to disable the redo log mechanism then set the hidden parameter _disable_logging=TRUE - it kicks ass and it'll bite your ass when your database crashes !!!