Re: Secure oracle password length

From: Maxim Anisiutkin <manisiutkin_at_grtcorp.com>
Date: 25 Feb 2002 11:24:30 -0800

Hi Rick,

> I hate to correct you, Howard, but Oracle passwords *are* encrypted. The
> algorithm is modified DES or Triple DES, depending on the version.

I'm sorry, but we are talking about password hashes stored in sys.user$ table.
It cannot be *encrypted* because that field simply doesn't have enough room for *encrypted* values of passwords (I know that it's varchar2(30), but Oracle uses only the first 16 bytes). Probably, you mean SQL*Net password *encryption*...

Maxim. Received on Mon Feb 25 2002 - 13:24:30 CST