Re: Deactivating Redo Logs on 9i?

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 22:24:40 GMT

Ohhoh.

I have been there for sure.

You may want to get something in writing like a SLA (Service Level Agreement) that specifically denies that the testing process is to do anything with performance, and is only for logic, interface, and all the other stuff you test for, and get whoever is going to whine at you to sign it, that would be good for you and your boss to have in your pocket; make sure whoever is NOT paying for an adequate test bed to sign it as well, and include the consequences of testing in this manner.

The raw disk I/O suggestion is a good one, but again that gets us back into the "How different can your test environment be from production, and still be any decent kind of test? argument

With a million things running at once on that poor test server, that's a further argument that this test isn't going to mean a lot, unless the same million things are running in production as well. And a further reason to get something in writing; I've found that people who demand the impossible, and won't give you what you need, are often very very queasy about putting their name to something that you can blackmail them with when everything goes to hell, as well as protect your own jobs.

Good luck with this, I'll keep you in my prayers.

RSH.