Install Oracle 9i - Please help???

From: freeserve <canna_at_say.massa>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 16:00:19 -0000

Have been trying to install Oracle 9i on Suse Linux 7.1 for the last couple of days...
Two Problems....
After following all the pre-installation instructions in various documents from Suse and from Oracle I thought I had everything set as required for the installation.
Swap space, kernel version etc, etc...
So started the installation, the very first thing I notice it pops up the message about running 'orainstRoot.sh'.
I checked the script and it wants to install the 'oraInst.loc' file in my /etc directory.
according to my documentation, that is the path required for AIX unix, the path for Linux should be /var/opt/oracle So that is my first question, why????

Anyway I could not get it to work any other way so I ran the script and let it continue...
Next problem...
The various steps as per the documentation all occur, after being requested the database character set it is supposed to continue onto the Summary screen and then install.
In my case not so...
It then asks for the JDK path????
I was under the impression that java was supposed to be installed with Oracle...
So now I am stuck... I do not know what to enter here, or why it is requesting the path?

Any help would greatly be appreciated....!! Thanks
Mark Received on Sat Feb 09 2002 - 10:00:19 CST