Re: Is Sr. DBAs afraid of not be able to pass cert exam ??

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 12:41:52 GMT

Niall Litchfield doodled thusly:

>the training (though it doesn't speak to the value of the certificate). For
>example we here (and I suspect a good many sites) don't use partitioning, or
>for that matter materialized views and query rewrite (std edition see). Good
>training (or good documentation/proof by example) keeps people in this
>position at least vaguely up to date.

Absolutely. And if you don't use the feature and aren't therefore as familiar with it as others who use it, doesn't in ANY way, format or shape diminish your competence as a DBA. Certified or not.

What is important is the fact that you can REASON and LEARN from documentation like any other student, the necessary bits for using partitioning. WITHOUT needing another dose of expen$$$$ive certification! That is the difference between proper training and "certified trained monkeys" a-la M$.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Wed Jan 30 2002 - 06:41:52 CST