Re: Is Sr. DBAs afraid of not be able to pass cert exam ??

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 30 Jan 2002 11:51:33 +0000 (GMT)

Keith Boulton <kboulton_at_ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> there isn't anything to gain, why bother? If I had a choice of hiring
>> someone with 4 years experience and OCP and someone with 10 years of solid
>> experience, I'd choose the latter every time. The problem with
>
>Then you're a fool. Anyone with half a brain can learn everything they need
>to know about Oracle in a single job in less than a year. The only other
>thing they need to know is how to find out the stuff they don't yet know as
>and when they need it.

I obviously have less than half a brain. I'm still learning stuff about Oracle that's important to my job.

To rephrase a question I was once asked at an interview:

What happens when I type "SELECT ename FROM emp;" at a SQL*Plus prompt and press return?

I still can't answer that in enough detail.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/