Re: Is Sr. DBAs afraid of not be able to pass cert exam ??

From: Keith Boulton <kboulton_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:49:50 -0000

> there isn't anything to gain, why bother? If I had a choice of hiring
> someone with 4 years experience and OCP and someone with 10 years of solid
> experience, I'd choose the latter every time. The problem with

Then you're a fool. Anyone with half a brain can learn everything they need to know about Oracle in a single job in less than a year. The only other thing they need to know is how to find out the stuff they don't yet know as and when they need it.

After that, it's a matter of what's required for the job: oracle apps, data warehousing, how the client software interacts with the database...

Most knowledge acquired more than 5 years ago is utterly irrelevant.

There is no practical difference between 4 and 10 years experience - at that point, the issue is the difference between candidates' understanding, talent and motivation.

I've worked with many people with 10 years experience which consisted of the first year repeated 10 times. Received on Wed Jan 30 2002 - 02:49:50 CST