Re: Is Sr. DBAs afraid of not be able to pass cert exam ??

From: Tom Dyess <tdyess_at_dyessindustries.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 01:19:16 GMT

Interesting dialog - here's my 2 cents --

Certification exams, especially Microsoft, require you to know a ton of useless information. Microsoft's exams typically require you to know what their products can't do and disguise it using the term "The Microsoft Way" Oracle's certifications are usually more pertinant to the job, but still require you to know stuff you would probably never use, which is tedious and uninteresting. Boring isn't a reason we got into technology in the first place (those of us that got into it before it was a money machine).

Second, what's the point of certification? To prove to your future employer that you know your stuff. Experience is an indicator that you know your stuff and much more. Taking a certification requires time and money and if there isn't anything to gain, why bother? If I had a choice of hiring someone with 4 years experience and OCP and someone with 10 years of solid experience, I'd choose the latter every time. The problem with certifications, as all tests, is that the information is soon forgotten once it is out of practice.

Third, well, there is no third, remember, it's only two cents.

Tom
www.oraclepower.com

"Justin John" <DontBotherwith_at_fake.ca> wrote in message news:GYG58.9772$DE3.1761608_at_news20.bellglobal.com...
> Interesting opion I read from
> http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=20359
> Maybe there are certain degrees of truth in it.
>

> A friend of mine said to me most the sr. dbas are not certified, they
hates
> people certified and suggest I don't put certification on my cv.

> ----
>
> I am a senior DBA and I am certified. I was in an OPS seminar recently
where
> there were senior DBAs from several Scandinavian countries, most were
> certified. I have met non-certified senior DBAs, they are mostly people
who
> got into the business when there was no certification, they simply know
how
> to do the daily tasks, but they don't know all possibilities and methods
> Oracle offers. If they want to become certified, they will have to learn
all
> the stuff. They might not want to do that because they might not need it
in
> and you see, there is always the chance that they fail the exam. Imagine
> such a senior DBA coming to work after the exam, all the guys asking:
Well,