Re: Archive Log affects performance?

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 16:46:49 GMT

It is going to depend how the machne is configured. If the redo logs were very small and there were only 2 of them and the drtive where the archive logs are going is slow then yes there would be a problem. What would be the problem? The redo logs would fill up and the archiver would not have had a chance to copy them off befoore they were needed. Like: redo1 is active and 50K in size (a stupidly small size) It fills up in a second or two and you switch to
redo2. The archiver starts to archive redo1 and redo 2 fills up. At this point Oracle cannot switch to redo1 until redo1 is archived.

My guess is that the DBA has taken this condition into account. He has the redo and archive logs so they are not contending for IO and the log switches and archiving process is such that it does not run into this possibility. Given the machines are beefy, I don't think this will be a problem.

How long is it taking with archiving - a multi-million row update shouldn't take that long.
Jim