Archive Log affects performance?

From: Noodles <noodles_at_aol.com>
Date: 19 Jan 2002 12:30:24 GMT

OS: HP Unix 11.0.x - (K and N class)
ORA: 8.1.7 I'm getting ready to do a multi-million row update on 40+ databases around the world. Before the update, I'll get a cold backup and no users will be logged in during the update.

Do you think I can tweak a little more performance if I place the database in non-archive log mode? I've got lots of disk space and no IO contention.

Some collegeaues think the archiver process puts a minimal system load but others disagree. I suppose I could just test it but the senior DBA is the one who thinks the archive process is not a performance factor. ( and I can't convince him to test his theory)

Does anybody have any benchmark data/anecdotes to prove one way or the other ?

TIA,
Cliff Received on Sat Jan 19 2002 - 06:30:24 CST