defragment shared pool

From: ls cheng <g-e-n-o_at_europe.com>
Date: 19 Jan 2002 03:19:02 -0800

Hi

If we face ORA-4031 will

alter system flush shared_pool

defragment (coalesce) thee free chunks?

I understand that in Oracle 7 this command was useless to coalesce or defragment the shared pool (at least this is what Metalink's Note suggests). However in Oracle 8 and 8i does it still apply or it's improved and we can fix ORA-4031 (temporary solution) by flush the shared pool manually OR does Oracle defragment shared pool internally?

Also is there any X$ view that shows the free chunks remaining with their respective sizes? (I will try with a small shared pool of course! If such x$ exists) Received on Sat Jan 19 2002 - 05:19:02 CST