Re: defragment shared pool

From: Igor Ushkalo <igorus_at_protek.ru>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 15:46:19 +0300

Hello, ls!
You wrote on 19 Jan 2002 03:19:02 -0800:

 lc> Hi
 lc> If we face ORA-4031 will
 lc> alter system flush shared_pool
 lc> defragment (coalesce) thee free chunks?
some memory will be freed however... doubt about coalescing.
 lc> I understand that in Oracle 7 this command was useless to coalesce
 lc> or defragment the shared pool (at least this is what Metalink's Note
 lc> suggests). However in Oracle 8 and 8i does it still apply or it's
 lc> improved and we can fix ORA-4031 (temporary solution) by flush the
 lc> shared pool manually OR does Oracle defragment shared pool
 lc> internally?

afaik - no, oracle don't defragment shared pool internally by itself. anyway - flush not releases _all_ memory in shared pool, some objects (kept or are being executed now) could remain; see dox about cursor_space_for_time parameter...
 lc> Also is there any X$ view that shows the free chunks remaining with
 lc> their respective sizes? (I will try with a small shared pool of
 lc> course! If such x$ exists)

visit http://www.ixora.com.au/home.htm

Your comments, pls...